An orange and pomegranate fruity festive twist on traditional old-fashioned bourbon cocktail with a hint of rosemary.
If holiday nog isn’t your thing I got just the boozy drink to hit that spot and melt away the Christmas stress. You can of course skip the bourbon and just top your glass with some sparkling water, which is both delicious and refreshing.
I got the inspiration to mix up this bourbon cocktail from my boyfriend Mr. Matt who’s favourite drink it a classic Old Fashioned. He even gave me thumbs up after he tried my festive twist on his favourite boozy drink. If you ask Matt, he’ll tell you that the secret to a good Old Fashioned is having the large ice cube so its melts slowly and doesn’t water down your drink too fast. In my opinion I just like them because they look cool haha!
You can essential add any of your favourite fruit to this drink but the combo of pomegranate and orange with rosemary is incredible. If you want to simplify it you can also use straight up orange and pomegranate juice instead of the fresh fruit itself.
Being the Health Nut that I am I also switched up the regular white sugar cube in a traditional old fashioned to a tsp. of coconut sugar.
Happy cocktail mixing this holiday season and cheers to good food and friends.
- ½ orange chopped with skin on
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2-3 dashes of bitters
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1.5 oz. bourbon
- In a cocktail mixer add in all ingredients except for bourbon and muddle with a muddler or wood spoon until pomegranate seeds are mostly broken up.
- Top with a few ice cubes, bourbon and top the lip on and shake well until outside it slightly frosted and cold.
- Strain into a short cocktail glass with a large ice cube and serve.
- Optional: You can garnish with some fresh rosemary, pomegranate seeds and a twist of orange zest.