A dairy-free holiday nog drink made with homemade cashew milk and spiced to perfection with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.
I’ve always wanted to be a fan of traditional egg nog but I just couldn’t get off the fact that it was way too sweet and a little too rich for my liking. Even though I love a good sunny side up egg for breaky I don’t necessarily want it in my cup so I decided to make a dairy free eggless holiday nog that you can enjoy without heaps of sugar.
This holiday nog is best served either warmed up or my favourite chilled and poured over ice with maybe a splash or 3 of your best rum. I can now say that I am a huge nog fan as long as it’s homemade of course!
The best part about this holiday nog that makes it so creamy and addicting is that it’s made with fresh homemade cashew milk. I feel like cashew milk doesn’t get enough praise since almond milk made its appearance. Trust me when I say its one of the creamiest milk substitutions out there and making it at home is so easy and you don’t even need to strain it through a nutmilk bag if you have a good high speed blender.
I hope you try out this holiday nog over the holidays and share it with all of your friends and family.
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 6 hours in water
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (I used the seeds from half of a scraped vanilla bean)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- In a high speed blender, blend together soaked cashews and water until smooth (roughly 30-60 sec).
- Next add in the remaining ingredients making sure to remove the seeds from the dates.
- You can server this drink warm or cold over ice with a splash of rum for a holiday cocktail.
- Optional: Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to thicken up and allow the flavours to melt together.