The easiest fluffy, sweet and buttery roasted butternut squash mash in 30 minutes no peeling needed!
Now that the colder weather is here I’ve been craving all the squashes! Delicata, acorn, kombucha, butternut, you name it! There’s just something about perfectly roasted squash with either butter or coconut oil and sea salt that hits the spot every time.
Now back to this super easy butternut squash recipe. I wasn’t kidding when I said no peeling necessary because all you have to do is slice, roast and scoop and you have perfectly sweet and fluffy mashed butternut squashed.
I love mashing up the roasted butternut squash with a little butter, chunky sea salt, f ground pepper and a spring of fresh thyme sprinkled on top.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp chunky sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Wash and cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Place both halves face up in a deep baking tray lined with parchment paper (less clean up) and drizzle with olive oil and rub all over.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and flip butternut squash so the cut sides are now faced down and rub any left over oil on the top so it doesnt burn.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water around the squash so it steams and gets nice and tender without drying out.
- Roast in the oven for 45 min until fork tender and then turn butternut squash facing upwards and broil on high for 3-5 min until slightly golden brown for some extra flavour.
- Remove squash out of the oven and using a spoon or ice cream scoop remove all of the squash meat from the skin and place into a bowl for mashing.
- Add some organic or vegan butter, sea salt and pepper and mash well with a whisk or hand blender until fluffy and smooth.
- Optional: You can also sprinkle on some fresh thyme for flavour and a pop of colour.
- You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. When heating up add a bit of water to help add some moisture back in and cook it evenly on the stove or microwave.