Crispy smashed potatoes baked to perfection, topped with a garlicky chipotle aioli and freshly chopped cilantro.
Were going back to the basics for this recipe with good old potatoes. Is it just me or do most of the best foods always come in the colour beige? I mean there’s pasta, sourdough bread, pastries, cookies, muffins.. Shall I go on? Let’s just say if baked potatoes and fries had a baby, it would be these crispy smashed potatoes.
These guys are both fun to make and eat and you can basically top them with anything you’d like although I would have to recommend my chipotle aioli with fresh cilantro.. Seriously amazing! These smashed potatoes are perfect to bring to a holiday party or potluck as a side as they are already portioned out and ready to serve.
- 8 yellow yukon potatoes (peel on)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used veganaise)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add potatoes into a large pot and cover with water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer potatoes uncovered for 25 minutes, until fork tender.
- When there is about 10 minutes left of boiling the potatoes, preheat oven to 400F.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool slightly before transfer them to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Using a potato masher, press down firmly on each potatoe about half way so you get a "smashed" look without it falling apart.
- Drizzle about 1 tsp of olive oil on each smashed potatao and top with some sea salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 min until the tops are golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool slightly before drizzling with chipotle aioli or just have it as a dip on the side.
- Optional: Top each potato with freshly chopped cilantro and serve.
- In a bowl or blender mix together all of the ingredients until well combined and store in the fridge for the flavours to intensive while the potatoes are roasting.
- The Chipotle Aioli can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.