A warming, hearty veggie stew made with split yellow peas, mushrooms, and peppers in a creamy tomato and coconut milk broth slightly spiced.
When it comes to the colder months I’m all about the soups, stews, chili’s, you name it! I could never be a raw foodist because I just crave and love warm food so much especially when the weather starts to drop.
I recently showed a sneak peek of this veggie dal stew in my Fall Night Time Routine video and you guys were going crazy in the comments to see the recipe for this dish. Luckily I wrote it down to the T because I can’t even tell you how many times I create something really delicious on the fly and cannot remember for the life of me the measurements or ingredients I used haha.. Oh the life of a pseudo chef.
This is the perfect vegetarian stew recipe to make on a Sunday night and have it for the entire week for lunch or dinner. That’s exactly what Mr.Matt and I have been doing and since we’ve been super busy with house renos it has been a lifesaver to have our meals already cooked and ready in the fridge along with some brown rice basmati.
This veggie dal stew is super budget friendly and low maintenance to make. You simply need to chop up your ingredients, sauté for a bit then add your crushed tomatoes, water, coconut milk and put that lid on to cook until everything I perfectly tender and mouth watering.
Don’t forget to share this recipe on social media and TAG me at @URHEALTHNUT so I can see and like it!! I absolutely love seeing your HealthNut recreations, as my purpose for my blog and channel is to inspire people to start cooking delicious and healthy meals one veggie stew at a time haha! But really try this recipe out, it’s amazing 🙂
- 2 cups split yellow peas
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ can full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms (chopped into quarters)
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Ripe avocado cubed
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Lime juice
- Rinse well and soak split peas for about 1 hour to speed up the cooking process.
- In a large saucepot heat up olive oil on low-med heat and sauté onions for 3-5 min until translucent.
- Next, add in the spices and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add in split peas, crushed tomatoes, water and bouillon cube and give it a good stir. Bring this up to a boil and simmer on low-med heat with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Next, add in coconut milk, red peppers, mushrooms, squeeze of lime juice, stir well and cook on low-med heat for another 25-30 min stirring occasionally until split peas are tender.
- Once cooked you can serve this veggie lentil stew on brown basmati rice and top with cubed avocado, chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice and enjoy!
- You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for 1-2 months.