Healthy & chewy peanut butter cookies with a jam filled center to give you that perfect sweet and salty combo for the holidays.
Peanut butter and jelly has definitely got to be one of the ultimate flavour combinations. There’s just something nostalgic about it that takes me right back to when I was little and to be honest I still enjoy a good PB & J sandwich to this day. I thought I would make a traditional cookie with a traditional flavour combination and create these Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint cookies. These healthy cookies are perfect for a holiday cookie exchange or just to fill your cookie jar with over the holidays to grab and snack on 1 or 2 as you’re passing by.
Best part about these thumbprint cookies is that they are loaded with plant based protein from the peanut butter and Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts which I have yet to find a recipe that you cant throw these into some how. Hemp Hearts are definitely a kitchen staple in my house.
These cookies take no time to mix up, 10 min to bake and 2 min to eat… just kidding they will hopefully last at least an hour 😛
If you follow me on Snapchat (urhealthnut) then you know I tested these cookies out about 6 times in the HealthNut Test Kitchen until I came up with the perfect recipe to share with all of you. You guys always ask me how I come up with my recipes and it’s really just a lot of trial and error especially when it comes to baking. So just let me do the testing and all you have to do is the baking and eating… I think that’s a pretty good relationship if you ask me 😉
If you recreate this recipe make sure to TAG me on social media @urhealthnut so I can find, like and share all of your beautiful food pics.
Thank you to Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods for sponsoring this post and allowing me to live out my dream job of inspiring and encouraging you to eat and live a healthier and balanced lifestyle, one cookie at a time!
- ¾ cup Natural peanut butter with sea salt (I buy mine from Bulk Barn)
- ¼ cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- ¼ cup light spelt flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1/8 cup softened organic butter (I used vegan margarine)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of your favourite jam (I used blueberry)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and Hemp Hearts and set aside.
- In a large sized mixing bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla, coconut sugar, butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients in with the wet until firm slightly sticky dough forms. You should be able to roll the dough easily into balls and it should be slightly fluffy when pulled apart.
- Next, measure out 1 tbsp. of dough and roll into a ball and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat this step until you run out of dough. I got 18 cookie balls.
- Press each cookie ball down in the center with your thumb or the back of a spoon to flatten the cookie enough that there is a small crater for your jam to sit.
- Lastly, measure out ½ tsp. of jam and place it in the center of each cookie.
- Bake in the oven for 10 min until slightly golden brown on the bottom.
- Once baked allow to sit for 5 min before transferring to a cooling rack to fully cool for another 10-15 min.
- Notes: Store cookies in an airtight container for 3-5 days.