A healthy Apple Chai Spiced Cake made with the perfect blend of warming organic spices and topped with a dairy free maple glaze drizzle.
Recently, I’ve been enjoying walks every Thursday with my boyfriend, Mr. Matthew along Toronto’s waterfront. I love this time because we get to enjoy nature and catch up on life and talk about our future plans. It’s so important to have this time set aside each week for us, and the best part of it getting colder outside, is the prospect of coming home to whip up a warm dinner. And sometimes, just sometimes, indulge in a slice of cake. Who said cakes are just for parties? Definitely NOT me! During the fall season, I’m always craving warm dessert options like apple pie, blueberry peach cobbler and now my new favourite, this Apple Chai Spiced Cake!
With the busy holiday season approaching, I wanted to share a dessert that brings people together, because that’s really what the holidays are all about, right? For today’s recipe, I’ve partnered up with Simply Organic; they’re my go to source for the most amazing, fragrant organic spices.
This Apple Chai Spiced Cake is just the dessert to bring people together; just the warming spices alone will make your house smell extra inviting. So enjoy it with your loved ones and be sure to save an extra slice for the next morning because it’s healthy enough for breakfast but delectable enough for a late night snack.
For this recipe I created my own chai spice blend using Simply Organic’s cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, all spice and cardamom. I’m telling you, the difference between using organic spices vs a regular grocery store label is unbelievable. Whether sweet or savoury, organic brings out the flavours so much more and I promise you’ll not only notice the difference, but you’ll savour it to the end. This is probably one of the best and most moist (yes I said it) cakes I’ve ever made and it is a MUST bake this holiday season.
How do you like to spend time with your friends and family over the holidays? Share your organic moments by sharing your moment on social media using the hashtag #ThursdayMoments for a chance to win the Simply Organic Ultimate #ThursdayMoments Giveaway!
- 2 cups light spelt flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ tbsp. Simply Organic’s cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic’s nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic’s ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. Simply Organic’s all spice
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic’s cardamom
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Optional: Chopped raw pecans to decorate the maple glaze.
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil (room temp)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cup shredded apple (I leave the skin on)
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews (soaked overnight in water)
- ¼ maple syrup
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- ¼ of a lemon juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla (I like vanilla bean paste)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for 15 min to curdle into a dairy-free buttermilk.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients except the shredded apple.
- Slowly pour the wet batter into the dry bowl and mix until everything is combined. Try not to over mix.
- Fold in the shredded apple and transfer the batter into a lightly greased 10.5” Bundt pan (the one that looks like a French curler donut).
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 min. It’s done when you can stick a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Once baked allow to cool for 10-15 min before flipping over onto a cake stand or plate.
- Drizzle maple glaze all over the top while its still slightly warm and top with chopped pecans.
- Serve and enjoy!
- In a high-speed blender add in all ingredients and blend on high until creamy smooth (roughly 30-40 seconds).
- Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an air tight container.