Alfredo just got a makeover! This Dairy-Free Pumpkin Alfredo is a super easy pasta dish, smothered in a delicious pumpkin Alfredo sauce and tossed with steamed spinach.
It’s officially pumpkin season and all I’m craving is warm Fall dishes like this Dairy Free Pumpkin Alfredo. When you first think of pumpkin you probably think of sweet desserts like pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake. But pumpkin is just another type of squash and squash is delicious in savoury dishes with the right kind of spices.
This dish is packed with flavours of garlic, sage and pumpkin mixed with a hint of nutmeg. It’s delicious, healthy and definitely satisfying.
Enjoy this sauce over pasta, in lasagna or even as a “cheesy” cream sauce for your steamed broccoli. This pumpkin alfredo is not only super easy and fast to make but it will please the pickiest of eaters while getting in some extra veggie goodness.
- 1 package of gluten free pasta (I used a corn, rice and quinoa blend)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
- 3 tbsp. arrow root flour
- 4 leaves of fresh sage chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Optional: 4 cups of fresh baby spinach
- In a large pot of boiling water cook pasta, following the instructions on the package.
- In a large sauce pan on low- medium heat, sauté the onions with olive oil and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the tomato puree and arrow root flour and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the white wine and whisk in the pumpkin puree, soy milk, lemon juice and spices. Cook everything for 5 minutes on low heat stirring constantly until the sauce comes together.
- Transfer sauce to a high speed blender, add in pasta water and blend for 5-10 seconds until smooth.
- Transfer pumpkin sauce back into the sauce pan; add the pasta, toss and serve.
- Optional: toss fresh baby spinach on top of your sauce mixture before you add your pasta. Place lid on and steam for 3-5 min on low. Add your pasta, toss and serve.