This dairy & gluten free chilled BIG Macaroni salad is both creamy and tangy and the perfect companion to all your BBQ’s this summer.
I’m sure everyone’s BBQ menu has a variety of go-to salad options, but there’s something about a big bowl of creamy, chilled macaroni salad that makes it a must when it comes to Summer BBQ’s. You’ll know by now that I’m not a huge fan of pre-made anything, especially macaroni salad; they’re always way too sweet and overloaded with mayo. So what do I do? Make my own of course!
Lets be real, obviously a big bowl of mixed greens with a lemon vinaigrette is probably a healthier option but everyone has their guilty pleasures- Gravy, wings, Doritos and let’s not forget my friend Mr. Cheesecake. I feel like I can hear your jaw dropping ¾ yes I am a real human being and I do indulge once in a while, I just don’t eat these foods every week!
All cravings aside, I decided to create a fun, “healthier” twist and whip up a dressing that’s both sweet and tangy, which slightly resembles a familiar “secret sauce” long island dressing by that yellow arch company (wink wink) who shall not be named here.
I haven’t had a Big Mac in a VERY VERY long time but I do remember the sauce being absolutely delicious, but definitely not nutritious. So here I thought I would mix two delicious things together, with a squeeze of healthiness and make some BIG MACaroni salad.
If you recreate this big macaroni salad be sure to send me a photo using the hashtag #HEALTHNUTEATS on social media so I can easily find and like your photo!! I love seeing your HealthNut recreations 😀
- 3/4 package brown rice macaroni pasta
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 small red onion
- 2 large pickles
- 2 green onions
- 2 sweet peppers
- 1 can sliced black olives
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- ¾ cup vegenaise
- 1 tbsp. organic ketchup
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and cooking the brown rice pasta as per the directions on the package.
- Once cooked, drain and rinse well with cold water. This stops the cooking process and prevents the pasta from sticking. Set aside.
- Wash and finely chop up all of the veggies.
- Rinse and drain the can of olives.
- Add cooked/cooled pasta to a large bowl along with your chopped up veggies and olives and mix until combined.
- In a blender, add in all of the ingredients and blend on high until smooth (roughly 15-30 sec).
- Pour dressing all over macaroni salad and toss well until pasta and veggies are evenly coated.
- Cover and place macaroni salad in the fridge to chill for 2-4 hours or until ready to serve.
- For best results: Prep salad the night before and serve the next day.
- Dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Leftover macaroni salad can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.