This dairy free creamy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is the perfect combination of fresh mint and chocolate that is sure to cool you right off this summer.
What better way to celebrate summer than with a big bowl of homemade ice-cream! This week were kicking things off with a whole week of ice-cream, yes you heard that right! It’s ice-cream week. Could this day get any better?
I have 5 fun, dairy-free, gluten-free and processed sugar free flavours of ice-cream coming your way all week long. That’s a lot of homemade ice-cream but there’s also a lot of summer left 😉 Plus, you can never have too much ice-cream, that’s just a silly thought.
My go to flavour of ice-cream has got to be the traditional Mint Chocolate Chip. When I first attempted this recipe I knew I had to create one with REAL fresh mint, and none off that artificial stuff or food dyes. In my opinion, Mint Chocolate Chip ice-cream shouldn’t be neon green, but just a soft shade of “mint” green – pun intended.
I cannot even begin to tell you how delicious and creamy this ice-cream recipe is. The combination of cashews blended up with coconut milk makes the best alternative to the traditional stuff. No one will be able to tell that it’s made without all of those no-good for you ingredients found in regular name brand ice-cream.
This mint chocolate chip ice-cream is made with no dairy so you can totally indulge without the upset stomach. Not to mention, it’s so healthy that you could eat it for breakfast on a hot summer day… coconut milk, cashews, avocado, honey and mint?! Sounds all good to me!
If you’re a mint chocolate chip ice-cream lover like me then definitely whip or “churn” up a batch of this stuff and you will be loving your life all summer long…or at least until the ice-cream runs out and you’ll have to make more.
If you recreate this homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe be sure to TAG me in your photo and use the hashtag #HEALTHNUTEATS so I can easily find and LIKE your photo 🙂
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ large ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup honey or sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- 1 tbsp. arrow root flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- If using an ice-cream maker then be sure to follow the instructions for your particular product. Mine requires the bowl to be placed in the freezer for 24 hours before preparing this recipe.
- In a medium sauce pot, whisk in the coconut milk, soy milk and honey on low-medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Ladle out ½ cup of the mixture into a separate small bowl and whisk in the arrow root flour until dissolved, then pour it back into the main pot and whisk until well combined. Cook on a low simmer for 5 min. Transfer mixture into a glass bowl to fully cool for about 30-45 min.
- In a high speed blender (I used a Vitamix) add in your milk mixture, cashews, avocado, vanilla, sea salt and mint. Blend on high until silky smooth (roughly 30 sec).
- Pour the blended mixture into your chilled ice-cream maker bowl and churn for 25-30 min until you reached your desired texture. During the last 3-5 min you can add in your chocolate chips.
- Enjoy straight away or transfer into an air tight container or ice-cream tub and keep in the freezer until ready to eat. I would recommend consuming within a month to keep its fresh taste.
- If your ice cream is very frozen just remove from freezer 10-15 min prior to serving so it can soften up enough to scoop.