Who ever said they don’t like kale hasn’t tried this salad! This sweet and savoury butternut squash kale salad with a creamy maple tahini dressing is the perfect way to make anyone fall in love with this hearty green.
It’s the time of root veggies like squash, beets, carrots, sweet potato and all those gems you find in the soil. Roasted vegetables are one of my favourite things to eat because it just makes them sweeter and brings out all the flavour without adding anything to it. I love pairing roasted veggies as a side to a main dish or topped onto my salads like todays recipe. This combination is heavenly and a must try.
Now the first trick to loving kale is to make sure you are massaging it and I do this by drizzling some olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt before giving it a good rub down with my hands for a couple minutes. You’ll notice that the kale just becomes softer and will be so much easier to chew and digest for your tummy.
The second trick to loving kale is topping it with creamy foods like roasted butternut squash and avocado, which will add some creaminess to your greens.
My third tip is to drench it in the most amazing dressing like this maple tahini one that I whipped up which happens to be super healthy for you too! Forget that store bought dressing stuff and make your own. I love making kale salads because you can save extras for the next day to have for lunch and it wont go soggy.
The same day I’m writing this post I actually created another super amazing kale salad recipe for you guys but I’ll probably save it for a few weeks down the road. I don’t want to overload you with kale even though I don’t think there’s such thing haha the more greens the better!
- 1 bunch of washed & de-stemmed kale
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 green onions sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Place cubed butternut squash onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, drizzle with coconut oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 min (tossing half way through) until golden brown and fork tender. Once cooked, set aside to cool for 15-20 min.
- In a large bowl, throw in your washed and dried de-stemmed kale and massage with olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt for about 1 minute.
- Add cucumber, celery, green onion, cilantro and avocado to the kale and mix.
- Add cooled roasted butternut squash and drizzle (soak) with the maple tahini dressing and toss well.
- Simply blend all the ingredients into a high-speed blender until smooth. You can store this dressing in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Optional: You can sprinkle some sprouts and pumpkin seeds for some extra crunch and protein.