I’m very excited about today’s post because not only is cheesecake basically my favourite dessert on the planet, but I managed to make a healthy version that tastes even better than the real thing! This Raw Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe is my new favourite dessert, which is ironic because I am not a huge pumpkin lover. If you’ve been following my channel for a while then you know that I still have not converted to the pumpkin pie fan group. I’ve only JUST started liking pumpkin flavoured desserts since last year when I started experimenting more.
This recipe came along when I had tried a sample piece of a pumpkin cheesecake at a health food store to only realise it was packed with cream cheese, sugar, butter, you name it. I was shocked by how delicious the combination was and became determined to recreate a healthier option. Funny enough, this whole pumpkin cheesecake trend has been popping up everywhere so I think I made this just in time and trust me, your sweet tooth with thank me 🙂
I feel like my kitchen has been stocked with cans of organic pumpkin puree all season because of all the fun recipes I’ve been making. I posted two last year which are still just as amazing. My Pumpkin Pie Smoothie and my Protein Pumpkin Pancakes are PERFECT for Fall Sunday mornings. You can check out my pumpkin recipe playlist here.
Let’s get back to the new obsession of raw vegan cheesecake… where have you been?! Seriously though, I can’t stop thinking of the flavour combinations I’m going to start making on my channel. Strawberry, blueberry (let’s just say all the berries haha), peanut butter, chocolate (or both)… see, the possibilities are endless!
I have to say that this recipe didn’t come easy for me at first since the first batch I tested out needed a few improvements. Once thing I will say is that you definitely need a high speed blender. I originally tried using my food processor for this and the texture just wasn’t there. I also used coconut milk which helped the blender combine all of the ingredients together leaving me with a silky batter to pour into my tart moulds– which by the way are a huge must! You can check out the ones I used in the video here. They have a centre piece that pops right out making it perfect for this recipe.
- 1 cup pecans
- 5 Medjool dates
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp. of water in case your dates are too dry
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soak overnight for 6-8 hours)
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, pulse the pecans for about 10 sec or until they form a crumble.
- Next, add in the coconut, dates, salt (and water if needed) and pulse for about 30 seconds or until the mixture moulds together so that when you press on it, it sticks together easily.
- Add the crust mixture to your tart pans or muffin tins and press down firmly with your fingertips until the entire surface is covered (if using muffin tins, cut a strip of parchment paper to line the bottom with so you can easily pull out your cheesecake later). Let set in the freezer for 15 min while you make the filling.
- In a high speed blender, add in the cashews, lemon juice, coconut milk, syrup, pumpkin spice, and salt, and blend on high until silky smooth.
- Take your crust lined tart trays and fill to the top with your pumpkin filling. Smooth out with a spatula and freeze for 3 hours or until set.
- These pumpkin cheesecakes should be stored in the freezer and taken out to thaw 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with a dollop of my vegan coconut whip cream. See the recipe here!
Leave me a comment below telling me what raw vegan cheesecake combo you’d like me to make next? I’d love to hear your creative suggestions.