Who doesn’t enjoy a refreshing ice cold drink on the patio in the summer time? I’ve whipped up 3 healthified versions of some traditional summer cocktails that you can enjoy either virgin or boozy. Candice from The Edgy Veg has joined me in the kitchen aka bar today to create some amazing but super easy cocktail drinks for summer. Believe it or not… we used to be bartenders.
I also filmed a video over on Candice’s channel and we made fruity refreshing cocktail popsicles which you can check out that video HERE!
Since cutting the white sugar (for the most part) from my diet, I’ve noticed that I just don’t enjoy super sweet sugar packed foods or drinks anymore. They simply don’t taste good to me and I almost cringe when I take a sip of an iced tea and all I taste is sugar! It’s true that white sugar is in almost everything these days but that doesn’t mean it has to be in your summer drinks as well.
I basically took 3 of my favourite summer drinks and revamped them into something I would actually put into my body and not feel guilty or super dehydrated the next morning… yea hangover I’m talking to you! Obviously you can omit the alcohol and they would be healthier, but moderation is key and sometimes a girl just deserves a drink right?
The first summer cocktail we’ve got is a Mojito, which is traditionally made with simple syrup aka, condense white sugar. I healthified this drink recipe by using one of my favourites, coconut sugar. This drink is very refreshing, it’s infused with lime and mint, and it immediately cools you down.
Next up, we have a white wine sangria spritzer, which is basically a combination of regular sangria, and a wine spritzer. I love sparkling water so I thought why not add it to a pitcher of sangria to add to the deliciousness. One thing I tend to not like about sangria is that the added sugar can be a bit heavy. By taking out the sugar and adding sparkling water along with refreshing fruits like peach, kiwi and raspberries, it creates a super refreshing sangria, with natural sweetness and nothing more.
Lastly but definitely not least, is my sugar & dairy free pina colada, which could possibly be my most favourite option of them all. This is also an amazing smoothie if you just want to drink it without the rum. Candice especially loved this one because its 100% Vegan friendly.
It is so sweet and creamy without any dairy or added sugar which makes my tummy a happy camper. Best part is I just discovered/bought a pineapple slicer which completely hollows out your pineapple and turns it into a pina colada cup!
Now that your all set for your next summer party/BBQ, don’t forget to go over and check out the Sex on the Beach cocktail popsicles we made over on Candice’s channel here.
- 1 bottle of white wine
- ½ 750 ml bottle of Sparkling water
- 1 pack of raspberries
- 2 peaches sliced
- 2 kiwis sliced
- Handful of mint
- 2 tablespoon of (honey or agave)
- 5-10 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 fluid ounces white rum
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- Handful of ice
- 1-2 oz rum
- Simply add the sliced fruit, sweetener, mint and top with wine and sparkling water.
- Let sit for at least an hour in the fridge to let the flavours infuse.
- In the summertime, it’s also nice to freeze half of the fruit and add right before serving so they act as ice cubes in the Sangria.
- Place mint leaves, sugar and lime wedges into a sturdy glass.
- Use a muddler to crush the mint and lime to release the mint oils and lime juice.
- Fill the glass almost to the top with ice.
- Pour the rum over the ice, and fill the glass with carbonated water.
- Stir, taste, and add more sugar if desired.
- In a high speed blender add in your coconut milk, ice, fresh pineapple, rum and blend until well combined.
- Pour into a cocktail glass and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy one or all three of these healthy summer cocktails this summer. If you try out one of my recipes please tag me on social media with the hashtag #HEALTHNUTEATS so I can easily find your photo and like/comment on it 🙂
What is your favourite summer time drink? Let me know down below!
As always have a wonderful healthy summer.