Its officially salad season so I thought what better way to celebrate then by bringing you guys a new delicious salad recipe. I wanted to show you a fun twist on the traditional salad by featuring this colourful rainbow detox salad from The Healthy Grocery Girl Nutrition Plan site. I love this recipe because the base of it is cabbage instead of lettuce which gives a nice added crunch. I feel like cabbage is so underrated and I’ve been trying to add it into more and more recipes like soups, wraps, as a side (aka sauerkraut) and of course salads!
Purple or red (whatever you like to call it) cabbage is super high in antioxidants just like blueberries. I think its often overlooked but there are so many fun and easy ways to add it into your meals.
I shared this salad with my sister, mom and best-friend and they loved it. They especially loved the addition of the crunch that the cabbage and roasted chickpeas added. We enjoyed it outside on the patio for lunch and it is surprisingly so filling I couldn’t even finish mine. Also, could of been the fact that I was snacking on the chickpeas while taking the pictures… I couldn’t resist they’re so addicting.
A couple of things you can prepare ahead of time and store in your fridge are the roasted chickpeas and quinoa. I love making a huge batch of some type of grain in the beginning of the week to then add to recipes or take for lunch as a side. Click the links below to get the recipes.
This rainbow detox salad recipe was taken straight out of the Healthy Grocery Girl Nutrition Plan site which is an online resource that provides exclusive and unlimited access to:
- 100+ simple and delicious recipes like this one
- grocery lists & meal plans
- wellness webcasts
- tons of nutrition information
- community forums for support
Best part is that Megan Roosevelt, RD (Owner and Creator of HGG) is celebrating the 1 year anniversary of the site by allowing new members that sign up in the month of June a sign up special of only $35! The regular sign up fee is $135, so if I can do the math correctly that’s $100 off for new members in June. Just use the COUPON CODE: 35TOJOIN to get the discount.
Megan wanted to also offer my viewers aka you guys with a fun GIVEAWAY. For everyone who joins the HGG member site in June will be entered to win a free ($100 value) private nutrition coaching session with the fabulous Megan herself. All you have to do is mention my name “Nikky” or “HealthNut Nutrition” upon signing up to be entered. Click the button below to sign up and become a member!
- ¼ head purple cabbage
- ¼ head green cabbage
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1 medium size avocado
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium saucepan add water and quinoa
- and bring to a boil reduce heat and let cook on simmer with lid on for 25-30 minutes.
- Drain one can of chickpeas and spread out beans on a baking sheet.
- Cover with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until toasted and crispy.
- Meanwhile, wash a chop cabbage and toss together in a dinner bowl.
- Slice and remove the pit of one avocado and slice into pieces.
- Drizzle cabbage with dressing; add a scoop of quinoa, slices of avocado and top with crispy chickpeas.
- Combine all ingredients in a jar such as a glass mason jar. Put the lip on, shake and enjoy!
- You can store the leftover dressing in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I hope you enjoy this rainbow salad recipe.
What veggie or fruit do you think is under rated? Comment down below!