I know Valentines Day has passed but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy some chocolate in your life. I seem to have a sweet tooth all year long so I’m always looking for new ways to make eating dessert guilt free and healthy! Since trying to eat a dairy free diet, I’ve been purchasing almond and coconut milk ice-cream options at the grocery store. Although I love that you can now buy these options, I do find they can contain a lot of sugar and are not always budget friendly. While living in Australia I found it extremely hard to find dairy free alternatives and if I did they were very pricey! I’m talking roughly 16 AUD dollars for a small Haagen Dazs size tub! Crazy I know… So what did I do? I made a healthier, budget friendly low calorie ice cream bite to satisfy my sweet tooth without the guilt. I never like to deprive myself when it comes to food, so if I can make or find a healthier option you bet I’m going to try it!
So here it is, my delicious dairy free banana ice cream bites…
The best part is you can add any filling or topping you like. If you wanted you could fill them with strawberry jam, peanut butter ( personal fav), and top them with goji berries, cranberries, or crushed pistachios!
Before: Naked banana peices
And with a little almond butter icing. Next time I’m going to try peanut butter for more of a kick.
Enjoy these banana ice cream bites with a nice BIG mug of your favourite tea. My current favourite tea lately has been Yogi’s Chai Rooibos 🙂 Comment below what yours has been!
Place your dairy free banana ice cream bites on a pretty plate and serve to your family/friends for an after dinner treat.
Watch the video below for a step by step guide on how to make your very own healthy banana ice cream bites.
- -1 bar of dark chocolate (I used Green & Blacks)
- -2 bananas
- -1/4 cup raw almonds
- -1/4 cup raw shredded unsweetened coconut
- -1/2 cup almond or peanut butter
- -1 tsp. coconut oil
- -Double broiler (or pot with a stainless steel bowl on top)
- -Cookie sheet
- -Parchment paper
- -Measuring cups & spoons
- -Coffee grinder or blender (I used a NutriBullet)
- -A freezer!
- Cut your banana into 1 inch pieces and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place in freezer for 15 min.
- Using a butter knife, spread about 1 tsp. of almond butter or filling of choice on your banana pieces. Place in freezer for 30 min.
- While bananas are freezing, add your almonds to a blender or coffee grinder and pulse a 2-3 times until almonds are crossly chopped.
- Next, in a double boiler melt your coconut oil and chocolate on low heat (about 5 min).
- Take bananas out of the freezer and using tooth picks, dip your banana pieces into the chocolate making sure to coat evenly.
- Place chocolate covered banana pieces on the parchment lined cookie sheet and top with either shredded coconut, crushed almonds or whatever topping you'd like.
- Place banana ice cream bites back into the freezer for about 2 hours depending on your freezer.
- Store in freezer (just like ice cream) until ready to serve!
- You can enjoy these banana ice cream bites frozen right out of the freezer or let them thaw for about 15-30 min for a soft serve texture.
Let me know if you try out this recipe! If you do make it, don’t forget to send me a pic through FaceBook or Twitter:)
Comment below if you like this recipe and would like to see more healthy dessert recipes like this one!